ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:33:18 -0500
Peter,
   I think you and I are in agreement in lots of ways, so I welcome this
formulation of it. I would tend to rephrase it a little. I believe it's
important for students to gain a working feel for Standard English and
for the routine conventions of writing, including punctuation. I don't
think that just "happens", but I also don't think just correcting
errors on a paper is an effective approach. A more operative question
might be "what do students need to know" to accomplish those goals.
  Writing effectively involves moving closer and closer to an unreachable
target. In that larger sense, error will always be a part of it. We need
ways to talk about revising sentences, looking at grammatical choices
and their contribution to the unfolding purposes of the text. If we
reduce gramamr to "error", we will miss that.
   I am trying to teach writing without "error" or "correct" in the
vocabulary. Language can be grammatical or ungrammatical, standard or
non-standard, effective or ineffective, and I try to use those as
separate lenses.
  But I would agree very much with your premises. If our students are
expected to gain some facility with standard English, then we should
find out how to get them there. If they are expected to punctuate
effectively, then we should try to figure out the best ways to help them
accomplish that. If they are expected to be able to present their own
views within the ongoing conversation of a discipline, then we should
know how to mentor that process as well.
   What I like about what you're doing (how's the book coming?) is that
you are trying to demystify the process. As you work that out over
time, I expect that many of us will find it useful,

Craig

 Craig writes, "If our primary concern is with error, then a great deal