ATEG Archives

June 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:14:10 -0400
Bob,
   It is hard for me to see this:
"If students produce strings that they have never seen before than an
explanation that grammar is learned strictly from input is flawed."

    The term "strictly" is your own addition. If you take the strictly
out, how do you get from A to B?

   Do you see vocabulary as innate as well? It seems to me a similar sort
of problem: Why do students use words in ways that differ from what
they see in print? My do they misspell or punctuate so awkwardly?

    "According to..."  and "claims" seem to me very important ways to
carry out what I sometimes call the attributive function. I work with
a text--"They Say/ I Say"--that helps students learn these functions
through schematic structures.

   It's OK to say "According to Craig, he claimed the painting was his
when we first saw it..." The problem comes in when we shift to the
present tense. The structure works (carries out its function) when you
need a kind of double distancing--he claims that he once claimed.

   You can also make it work for present tense. "According to Craig, he
claims that he loves his wife every time she asks."  The writer is
effectively saying that he isn't sure about the loving or even about
the fact that the claiming is happening, but is sure that Craig has
said so.

    This seems to me a problem for a certain kind of verb (like asserts),
but not for others. "According to Craig, he plays a good guitar." I
would tend to treat it like evidence that grammar is often very
locally tied to one or a small group of words. It has to do, at least
from  my view, with how we cognitively understand the notion of
claiming. Cognitive grammar deals with this all the time. Also
involved is the discourse function of attribution, which puts the
writer/speaker at some distance from an assertion. My students often
do so awkwardly as they are learning how to do it, which is true of so
many things in life. (I don't necessarily hear every aspect of the
music I listen to. What I hear, now that I know so much more about
music, is so much more than I heard before.)

   I don't know about you, but my students don't notice a great deal of
what they read. If you slow things down and direct their attention,
they have a better shot at it. They are certainly not used to thinking
about "how" an essay means.

   If grammar is emergent and dynamic, it is also constantly innovative.
I'm not sure how innate grammar accounts for grammaticalization.

Craig

Craig and I come from very different disciplines.  I think that may
> [...]
>>
>> I wish he would apply his views of grammar to real world issues we
>> teachers face.  However, it is frustrating when his posts and responses
>> remain at such a high level of generality.
>>
>> Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri
>>
>> Jim Kenkel and I in the last issue of Written Communication in 2009
>> offer
>> an explanation for what we think is going on with such innovations.  Of
>> course, the paper suggests the need to teach grammar, but it is not from
>> the perspective Craig has offered here.

>> Bob,
>>     There are, of course, many linguists, yourself included, trained in
>> generative approaches, who still hold those views, just as there were
>> many functionalist linguists while generative grammar held strong
>> sway. The comment was about a trend toward functionalism, which I
>> think is accurate.
>>    As I think you know, saying that grammar is learned doesn't mean it
>> was
>> directly taught. People used language for thousands of years without
>> theorizing a grammar. The view is simply that it is picked up using
>> normal cognitive processes: for example, intention reading and pattern
>> finding (Michael Tomasello). The view is that children learn about the
>> world and acquire the appropriate language simultaneously. It is a
>> social semiotic.
>>    Many people who argue against direct teaching of grammar seem to be
>> saying that grammar itself is not meaningful. If your view of grammar
>> is that it is deeply tied to both cognition and discourse and that it
>> is much more emergent and dynamic than previously believed, then there
>> are radical implications for whether or not it should be taught. Those
>> implications have not been fully thought through.
>>     You and I, of course, see it differently. Others on the list may
>> well
>> be unaware that new views about language are emerging. There are good
>> reasons to see the value of knowledge about language as not yet
>> settled as an issue.
>>
>> Craig>
>>

>>  I want to cite the following from Craig because it is too contentious
>> and
>>> can be worded in a way that is more useful.
>>>
>>> What we should be talking about more than we are is that there is huge
>>> change going on within linguistics, away from the idea that grammar is
>>> innate, toward the realization that grammar is learned, away from the
>>> notion that grammar is well understood as a formal system, toward the
>>> realization that it is inevitably tied to cognition and discourse. One
>>> very important corollary of that is that the language a child needs to
>>> learn to use through school is NOT just cleaned up speech, but a kind
>>> of language that is evolving to accomplish the work of a complex civil
>>> society and complex academic disciplines.
>>>
>>> ***
>>> I have decades of experience teaching both native and non-native
>>> English.  If it is true grammar is not innate but learned, then why is