ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Natalie Gerber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 22:58:37 -0500
Craig,

Thanks for your kind note. I've been finding surprising and wonderful references recently to poets' conscious cultivation of tone units even in the late 19th century. If you know of any sources that might be of interest, please let me know. I hope to embark on a project considering the role of intonation in verse, with Williams and Frost (a surprising but articulate exponent on the topic) as anchors.

On a different note, there are wonderful letters between Robert Creeley and Williams in which Creeley tries to pin Williams down to what he means by the various ways he discusses breath units. I think Creeley is an important link between Williams and Olson, and Creeley believed that what he and the Black Mountain poets were doing was deeply indebted to Williams but not consciously imitative of him.

I would have emailed you off the list if I had your address. If you'd like to continue the conversation, please send it or email me directly at [log in to unmask]

Natalie