ATEG Archives

October 1996

From:
Bob Gotwals <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 09:00:42 -0500
English friends,

Pardon an intrusion by an "outsider" (I'm a chemist).  I'm teaching a
course in reading braille for sighted teachers, and there is considerable
discussion about how to interpret one of the rules for writing
braille...I'm hoping you all can help!

In braille, there are "contractions", which are "shortcuts" to cut down on
the number of braille dots that the reader has to feel.  There are
whole-word contractions, such as the words "the" and "people", and
part-word contractions, such as "bb" and "ation".  The braille rules book
says this:

"Contractions are to be used when letters they represent fall in the same
syllable, or WHEN THEY OVERLAP A MINOR SYLLABLE."  They never define minor
syllable.

Some examples given of words with minor syllables (the permitted
contractions are shown in parentheses):

a(st)r(ing)(en)t
m(ed)iocre
h(and)le
R(en)o
s(of)a
t(in)y
d(en)y
fe(st)ival

Suggestions?  Any help in DEFINING what a minor syllable is would be
helpful. The current discussion in the blind issues discussion group gives
definitions of what it isn't ("if it isn't a major syllable, it's a minor
syllable") and examples of minor syllables, but no definitions.

Thanks in advance!

Robert R. Gotwals, Jr.
Computational Science Educator
The Shodor Education Foundation, Inc.