ATEG Archives

December 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 14:54:48 -0500
[This message was  originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to  the ATEG
list]

        To Kathryn Gunderson, CSU Hayward:  Hello.  On the matter of what to tell
high school teachers that college teachers (of language and of English Ed
programs, I assume) expect.   The National Council of Accreditation
for Teachers has listed eight guidelines in language upon which college
programs must be based (those colleges and universities seeking
accreditation from NCATE, almost half in the country).  Those guidelines
have been listed here earlier and I'd be glad to send them to you, if
you are interested.  Their importance derives from the fact that they
represent hundreds of college teachers in the country who have contributed
to their making.  Here of course you can get only individual preferences,
so I'd like to add mine.

        My advice to high school teachers who want to prepare their
students better for knowing and using language:  send them to my
university with a sense of joy and delight in using and talking about
language.  [That's it.]

H. Thomas McCracken