ATEG Archives

March 1998

From:
Kathryn Gunderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 13:55:45 -0800
You missed a pretty complete explanation of the
take/takes discussion.  You are right in saying
that the object of a preposition will not be the
subject of a sentence.  What you need to focus on
here, though, is the fact that you need your verb
in the relative (or adjective) clause to agree with
the noun which it modifies: jobs.

Relative clauses have two ideas about a single noun.
You can write two sentences, in fact, about this noun.
In the sentence we're using, the two sentences would be
as follow:

        It was one of those jobs.

        Those jobs take ________ (whatever the original was!)

Note that "those jobs" has been replaced by the "that" when
this clause moves into its position after "those jobs" in
the revised sentenceised sentence:

        It was one of those jobs that take__________.

See?

Kathryn Gunderson