ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:26:23 +0000
As a linguist with an emotional predilection toward being peeved by things, I've found it useful to have a set of facts I can remind myself of when I'm grading and start to get twitchy at my students' departures from standard written English; for example:

* "ice cream* started out as "iced cream," and the shift to the current version doubtless struck some as a clear sign of illiteracy.

* the passive progressive ("was being built") was condemned as barbarous in the better magazines of the early nineteenth century.

* "You are" as a singular? Come now, you professors; are you idiots? (condensing George Fox).

* What's with this third-person plural "they"? It's bad enough that there are Danes all over the place; do you have to use Norse-ish pronouns?

Just about every single sentence a modern literate writer produces would be perceived as deeply, deeply  stupid  by  members of past generations.  Shakespeare's compatriots would sneer at Dickens; Chaucer's chums would castigate Shakespeare; several of Bede's fellow monks would no doubt sternly reprimand Chaucer, and Hengist would probably insult the monks immediately before robbing them (he'd rob them in any event, but that would be on more general principles, and the monks could at least count on being unambiguously in the accusative case). Meanwhile, speakers of Proto-Indo-European would be looking down their noses at all the Germanic speakers for messing up almost all of their consonants.

Refusing to differentiate between our subjective emotional reactions to language varieties and their objective characteristics is, in the end, more "anti-grammar" than anything else we could do. It positions us firmly alongside travelers who are outraged that Europeans use the wrong voltage in their electrical outlets, and gardeners who are convinced that Daylight Savings Time has wilted their tomato plants. Denying the context-based utility of conventions, likewise, puts us in the position of the traveler who keeps plugging the 120-V toaster into the 230-V outlet and wondering why it blew up yet again, or the gardener who is baffled about why the store is closed before sunset.

Bill Spruiell

On Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:20 AM, "Eduard Hanganu" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

"Formal Written English as one variety among many others, a variety not intrinsically better or worse than any other, although actually less useful than many since the situations that require it are relatively few."

So, now Standard/Formal English is "not intrinsically better or worse than any other [English Language varieties]." What is then, the purpose of teaching it in public schoools or in college? Why bother? Why not let the students speak and write in their own "variety"? Why waste so much money to pay English teachers and English instructors to teach students this "not intrinsically better or worse than any other" Standard/Formal English variety? Why not hire people from the street to teach students in the public school and college their own "variety" of English? It does not matter, anyway, if those who teach English in public schools or college have been trained to teach "correct" or "prescriptive" English! Who cares about this Formal/Standard English and who needs it?

From the content of the messages and comments posted in this forum it might seem appropriate to rename group who call themselves the "Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar" to "The Anti-Grammar Assembly/Forum." It is no wonder that this "Assembly" has had very little or no impact on the English Language education in the United States. If those who are supposed to uphold Standard/Formal English teaching speak against it and discourage its teaching as often as they have the opportunity to do so, then what should we expect from those who are convinced that teaching grammar could "harm" or "damage" the students?

Sad, very sad!

Eduard