ATEG Archives

January 2008

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:39:00 -0800
My observations:

1. You're right that the rule is often ignored, especially but not
exclusively, in fiction.

2. Some style guides, e.g., Chicago, contain an exception for short,
closely related clauses. Your example to me arguably falls under that
exception, although you could just as well say that the lack of commas
was meant to convey a more conversational tone.

3. The big standardized tests (SAT, ACT) contain questions that require
students to apply this rule, so there are practical reasons as to why it
can't just be jettisoned. From what I've observed, they appear to avoid
clauses that might fall under the short & related exception.

I do think, though, that younger students don't need this rule at first,
perhaps not until high school. Give them some time to get an intuitive
feel for sentence combining and to build up an understanding of clauses.
Only after that will the punctuation rules make much sense.