ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:12:28 -0400
Ed,
   Are you trying to say that Jespersen is not a linguist? That syntax and
linguistics are exclusive fields?
   We have had many talks on list about the failure of linguists to
address the public needs.  Dick Hudson's "English Patient" article
traces it pretty well on that side of the ocean. Martha and I co-wrote
an article that tries to describe the context over here. There are
linguists, though, and I would include Jespersen, interested in a view
of language that nonscholars can use in their everyday lives. Linguists
have had a hands-on role in the national curriculum in England and in
the genre focused approaches in Australia. It seems silly to discount
linguists from the discussion.
   To extend Cornelia's comparison, I hope biologists are deeply involved
in the textbooks my children read. The books are, of course, trying to
introduce people to the field, not carry on the cutting edge
discussions of the day. Even linguists are capable of that distinction.

Craig

Cornelia: