ATEG Archives

March 1998

From:
ju tianyi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 19:04:57 -0000
Dear Professors:

Here is a sentence I read days ago.
Today tropical swamps and marshes are undergoing the most rapid
accumulation of peat, with rates in Borneo of 17m in 4000 years.
I wonder how to distinguish the "swamp " and "marsh" here.  As I know they
are all different kinds of geographical phenomena ( but quite similar ) in
this sentence. But they are of the same meaning according to my dictionary
( wet and lower land or the land with shallow water and grass ). Could you
tell me what is the tiny difference?

TIA

Tianyi