ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:22:38 -0700
The passive is traditionally thought of as formed with be + passive participle of transitive verb.  The form with get + participle would be a periphrastic equivalent having a modal sense including the idea of volition or intent.  At the risk of widening  this thread to other verb phrases with modal sense, ATEGers might consider how they approach the following expressions.  Do we leave them out of the formal styles that are most acceptable in so many writing assignments?

I think that there are quite a few expressions in English that might be classed as periphrastic equivalents to the five modal verbs of a) will/would, b) shall/should, c) can/could, d) may/might, and e) must.  These seem to fall into eight formal categories so that there could be as many as 40 possibilities.  Some must fall together, as there are only the following 20 kinds that I have noted.  Perhaps ATEGers can suggest others or some other classification or mistakes in these.

1) a) like to go, want to go; b) ought to go; d) get to go; e) have to go, need to go, deserve to go;
2) a) be to go; e) be to go;
3) a) be willing to go; b) be supposed to go; c) be able to go, be free to go; d) be privileged to go;
4) a) be about to go;
5) a) be going to go, be fixing to go;
6) b) be obliged to go; c) be allowed to go; d) be allowed to go; e) be made to go;
7) e) have got to go, had ought to go;
8) a) had rather go; e) had better go, had best go.

Bruce