ATEG Archives

August 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2011 17:09:13 -0400
Dick,
    The fact that it is not analyzable may be more relevant to the
spelling issue. Most people (including myself) would be hard pressed
to define "lot" in the noun phrase "thanks a lot." It's interesting
that we can use it without "a" in some contexts, but need to make it
plural, as in "Thanks lots." A singular "lot" and plural "lots" seem
to mean the same thing unless we bring in the fact that "a" seems to
make "lot" plural, a rather strange pattern, to say the least.
   It's another example, I think, of how language avoids neat categorization.

Craig

Craig,