ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 19:55:19 -0500
Eduard,

This is not exactly the way to carry on a conversation on the internet.

Given your views on Pinker, I cited it because it is a source you should
have.  (You will note when I cited the work of Goldin-Meadow and
Mylander I provided a source.  Pinker does not cite this work.)

I had the good fortune of doing my graduate work at the same time   at
the same place Jenny Singleton was doing her research on Simon.
I heard Singleton more than once on her data and I have her dissertation
in my files.

If you want the exact reference to this work, consult Pinker.  Why does
not giving you the exact reference make my summary not worthy of a
response?

You apparently want exact references.

Gordon, P. (1986).  Level ordering in lexical development. Cognition,
21, 73-93.

Now, did I misrepresent this research?
If I represented the research correctly, does it provide support for an
innate hypothesis or how would you explain it from a non-innate
perspective?

By the way, assuming Singleton correctly reports on the ASL of Simon and
his parents, how would you explain the fact the his ASL is more
native-like than his parents' ASL, yet his only input was his parents'
non-native ASL?

You may provide general quotations of people all you want, but where is
the evidence to support those claims?   When I did my graduate work, I
did not learn that appeal to authority was a convincing argument.   Was
this a serious deficit in my education.

Bob Yates, Central Missouri State University

Oh, I did a little analysis of Sampson, YOUR source.  I pointed out a
problem with his research and reasoning for claiming language cannot be
innate.  Your silence on my analysis is noteworthy.