ATEG Archives

September 2004

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:57:10 -0700
Herb,

I frankly have never introduced licensing in a technical sense, but I
suppose our classroom discussion amounts to the same thing, although
with less abstraction. I don't define complements in terms of obligatory
elements, so perhaps I sidestep the problem of distinguishing optional
complements from adjuncts. I try to put everything in terms of options.
Pick a verb. Then you have certain options as to how to continue. The
basic verb patterns (i.e., of complements) are a limited set of
options--tightly restricted and occurring with verb after verb. After
that (i.e., the adjuncts) you have almost unlimited choice that has
little or nothing to do with the verb. I do expect students to perceive
the basic patterns, but don't ask them to make any systematic
distinction between complements and adjuncts.

I like to illustrate adjuncts with the fortune-cookie phenomenon: the
fact that you can add "in bed" to most fortunes and still have a
sensible, if slightly risque, prediction. Clearly, the choice of verb
doesn't limit your ability to add this PP. Indeed, when "in bed" doesn't
work, it's usually because there's already a locative expression in the
fortune (that is, it isn't the verb's fault).

Karl

Karl Hagen
Department of English
Mount St. Mary's College