ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 09:53:24 -0500
Cynthia,
    This is a delightful post.  You should think about joining us this
summer, as helper in the Scope and Sequence project and/or presenter.
If you want, I could help set that up with Amy Benjamin.
    Like you, I have been given a huge amount of space in coming up with
curriculum for the Educational Opportunity Program students I teach.
As with you, some of that builds from success.    >
    Without a set curriculum to work from, you have made some very
thoughtful and creative choices. I like the way you try to get
students ready to meet prescriptive standards, but seem at least
equally interested in effectiveness and meaning.  (We have no history
of talking about grammar in that way. Even generative grammar largely
sees itself as irrelevant.) Australia is now teaching language
awareness right from day one, with functional grammar as the
underlying theory and "genre" (language in practice) as a focus.
   My book is aimed at a semester course in college, but I have former
students who are trying to apply it to high school.  Let me know if you
want me to get them to send you a review copy.
    Dedicated teaching creates its own rewards, but it can get lonely,
especially when people in the profession seem totally unaware of what
you are dealing with. The day we can give up grammar is the day we can
give up words. It's especially pleasing to learn about people making
sense out of nonsense, however awkward it can be at times.  Scope and
Sequence should give some solidity, including advice, to teachers like
yourself looking for a way to give students what they obviously need.

Craig

I assumed you wanted a private reply.