ATEG Archives

September 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 21:13:05 -0400
Dear Members,

Once again, a group has taken liberties with the internet, using the mass
mailing capacity of the university as a way of soliciting for free.  Such
messages upset me; most are caught at the "gates" the university puts up.
Some aren't.

I can't control the traffic on this list unless I moderate it, screening
every message.  I prefer to let the messages flow and take the occasional
"bad" with the good.  I have forwarded the message we just received to our
computer people at the university and have sent a curt reply to the address
on the "invitation."  I'm not sure that will do much good, however.  As
some of you may have discovered, groups that invade listservs often do so
using false addresses.  The past two spam messages that I've responded to
were "returned to sender--address incorrect."

I apologize and hope that these occasional intrusive messages will not
discourage anyone from remaining a member of this group.

Best wishes,

Jim Dubinsky                      l Miami University, Hamilton
[log in to unmask]          l Hamilton, OH 45011
http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~jdubinsky
"It's a long way from sparks to fire."