ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:16:03 -0500
Johanna,

I had indeed the pronoun/antecedent order reversed in my rendition of
"the original sentence," and was thinking of it as "In his speech to
Beowulf, Hrothgar gives...." Mea culpa.

Now, however, I'm wondering why one order produces a perception of
redundancy while the other doesn't -- is it the information gap produced
by the cataphoric arrangement in that latter version, or is it the
absence of the potential for the kind of ambiguity that you pointed out?
The cataphoric type certainly does occur in mature writing.

I'm staying agnostic about whether the anaphoric type never occurs in
polished prose; wider context may have more of an effect than the local
structure itself. Although your point about ambiguity still holds, I
think the following would not sound *quite* as bad:

"In Hrothgar's speech to Beowulf, he sounds resigned, but in his speech
to Aethelflaethet, he adds a note of urgency."

The cataphoric version still sounds better, though:

"In his speech to Beowulf, Hrothgar sounds resigned, but in his speech
to Aethelflaethet, he adds a note of urgency."

In the full original version ("In Hrothgar's speech to Beowulf, he gives
warning of the corruption of the desire for fame"), the
"warning....fame" portion is awkward as well. I wonder if that's
intensifying people's reactions to the first part.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University

PS -- Yes, I made up Aethelflaethet.