ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:52:15 -0500
Herb,
  Your situation underscores more than ever the need for a comprehensive
scope and sequence. It seems unconscionable that the conversation should
be about eliminating ALL need for an English teacher in training to
explore the nature of language. When the ball is in our court, we need
to be talking about three courses or so as a minimum, with a sound
rationale.>All my conversations in Nashville lead me to believe we are
on the right track with our four-pronged approach: standards,
assessment, curriculum, and teacher training. All those need to change,
and they all need to be in harmony with each other.
    The NCTE powers that be are more open and accessible than I would have
predicted, but I think we also need to take advantage of that and come
up with very clear positions of our own. We are a sub-group of NCTE,
but that does not mean we should ever be pressured into supporting
positions that we do not, in conscience, believe. We need to simply
recognize that we are ATEG members because of an expertise about
grammar and a passion about the subject that go well beyond the field
as a whole. We are advocates for grammar in the world of public
opinion, which means we need to build our case. The better that case
is, the more we should welcome these chances to speak.
   I think many in NCTE are frightened that the grammar cat will be let
back out of the bag. But once you reassure them that it's not the same
old cat, they are much more open to talk.
   I think we can make the point that it's not bad grammar teaching, but
bad writing teaching that comes about because, as you say, the teachers
aren't prepared to deal with language in relation to writing. I see so
many instances in which bad advice about writing is given in the name
of "grammar". Ignorance matters. Here's an example: one of my writing
students, in a routine conversation about what she learned in high
school about grammar, tells me she learned "that I can't write
contractions." This was not even nuanced, but given as a blanket rule.
I think it struck me finally, for the first time, that that's not
grammar, but bad writing teaching coming from a teacher not trained to
know much about language (or even observe it.)
   We need some way of saying that "grammar at the point of need" can be
no better than the knowledge of the teacher who is teaching it.
   In other words, they are not even teaching grammar, but idiosyncrasies
and prejudices and half-truths, all of which harm the teaching of
writing.

Craig

 Carolyn,