ATEG Archives

April 2001

From:
Robert Reis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 02:17:05 -0500
Last Friday, after seven high school sophomores in a row had demonstrated
that they could not utilize the concepts "same" and "different", I noticed
that one of my Polish immigrant students was looking extremely depressed. I
asked her why and she came over to my desk and said,
"The kids in this school are stupid and this school is dumb."
She has been in the U.S.A. for three years. She told me that Polish schools
are far more rigorous.
I mentioned that Polish immigrants have been coming to our area in large
numbers for about twenty years and asked her if they had been writing to
Poland explaining that the students are stupid and the schools are dumb.
She said that such letters were sent to Poland regularly.
I asked her why Polish people kept coming here with their children. She
replied, "They never believe our letters."

Cheers,
Bob Reis