ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:57:36 -0400
Scott,

I'll have to think about this.  What tests would distinguish an adjective with a prepositional phrase complement from a compound preposition?  Certainly analytic semantics would be part of it, and "due to" as a preposition, as in

Due to his poor health, Jack withdrew from the competition.

is not analytic.  "Due to" as an adjective + prepositional phrase is, as in

Your payment is due to the bank by Friday.

I'm not sure I like that latter "due to"; I'd probably use "at" instead of "to," but I don't think that's a matter of grammaticality.

"Due to" as adjective + complement can also be interrupted by an adverb:

Your payment is due today to the bank.

"Due to" as a preposition can be only if the adverb is an intensifier, as in the "due simply to" example discussed earlier.

On the topic of "of," this is a misspelling with a long history that is due to the phonetic identity of unstressed "of" and unstressed, reduced auxiliary "have."  The earliest citation in the OED is

1814 J. H. REYNOLDS Safie 57, I never could of thought that force Could turn affection in its course.

More interesting is

1853 C. BRONTĖ Let. May in J. Barker Brontės (1994) xxv. 727 Had Thackeray owned a son grown or growing up,..would he of spoken in that light way of courses that lead to disgrace and the grave?

Granted, it's only in a letter, but the slip by Charlotte Bronte suggests the form was in common use in Britain at the time and the confusion was alive and well.

Herb

I have no problem sticking to 'due' as an adjective, normally following a
form of to be; when I find it otherwise (e.g., Due to the fact that because
he was late, he missed the train), I normally consider it poor English.

I heard an excellent explanation today for why college students might
consider 'of' a verb: the oral English "I would of come, had I been
invited."

Scott Catledge

Date:    Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:08:03 -0400
From:    "Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Because of vs. due to

------_=_NextPart_001_01C88F85.854B8ECD

The students in one of my (college) grammar classes are starting to
analyze text from "naturally-occurring" sources (as opposed to textbook
examples) and bringing in sentences that stump them so we can discuss
them in class (and so I can repeatedly notice that English is weird,
which anyone who teaches grammar needs to be reminded of as often as
possible).  A recent example involved a construction like the following
(something like this may have come up on the list before, but if so, it
was long enough ago that it's not in my saved folder; apologies if it is
indeed repetition):

=20

                These problems were due simply to a lack of water in the
surrounding area.

=20

I could think of two analyses off the bat:

=20

(1)          "due" is an adjective being modified by an infinitive
phrase (this is how I usually deal with "able to..." etc.