ATEG Archives

April 2008

Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2008 22:47:10 -0400
A number of us who took the required California test for teachers met during
the break, discussed a number of questions to which no correct answer was
given and a number for which no answer was correct.  We exchanged addresses,
wrote up a letter explaining the myriad faults of the test, and sent it to
the California State board of education (this was two decades after Max
Rafferty), who replied with a form letter saying that it was not board
policy to discuss test questions and that our discussion among ourselves of
the test questions was totally unprofessional and could lead to our sanction
by the board.  Almost unanimously, we told them that they were the ones who
were totally unprofessional and that we would request the NEA to sanction
them.  Nothing ever happened, and no one was surprised.
Scott Catledge

I consider some of the questions to be totally incorrect or inappropriate
and will gladly send a letter to whomever.  I do not expect any meaningful
response.

Date:    Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:33:08 -0400
From:    Wanda Van Goor <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: A Test of Essential Academic Skills

----------MB_8CA655A3F6F626C_1270_5D4F_webmail-mf14.sysops.aol.com

I hope NCTE will see fit to respond to the test.?

?

I'm retired, but would probably be happy to sign a letter sent by as many
ATEGers as possible...a letter a bit more polite than our private comments!?
Keep us posted.

Date:    Sat, 5 Apr 2008 16:42:50 -0700
From:    Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Definition of Term

--0-797841336-1207438970=:65724

Does anyone happen to know what the term "pretzel logic" means? I just came
across it in a book I'm reading and can't find a definition.
  Thank you!
  Carol Morrison

Wanda Van Goor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[...]

---------------------------------
  Get the MapQuest Toolbar, Maps, Traffic, Directions & More!
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave
the list"   Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/

---------------------------------
Total Access, No Cost.

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--0-797841336-1207438970=:65724

came across it in a book I'm reading and can't find a definition.</div>
&lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;</I></B> wrote:</div>  <BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV>I hope NCTE will see fit to respon<SPAN contentEditable=false
style="DISPLAY: inline-block"></SPAN>d to the test.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>I'm retired, but would probably be happy to sign a
letter sent by as many ATEGers as possible...a letter a bit more polite than
our private comments!&nbsp; Keep us posted.</DIV>  <DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>-----Original Message-----<BR>From: Johanna Rubba
&lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;<BR>To: [log in to unmask]<BR>Sent: Fri, 4
Apr 2008 5:47 pm<BR>Subject: Re: A Test of Essential Academic Skills<BR><BR>
<DIV
 id=AOLMsgPart_0_cb643a16-b4bd-4add-900b-ac61dd7808b4 style="FONT-SIZE:
12px; MARGIN: 0px; COLOR: #000; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial,
Sans-Serif; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff">ATEG being affiliated with NCTE,
wouldn't be appropriate for ATEG to issue a statement on this execrable test
and make it known to both the state of Idaho and ATI? I don't know if such
statements would have to be "vetted" by any higher-up NCTE committees or
officers.&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>I found the home page for
ATI:&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR><A>http://www.atitesting.com/</A>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR
>Perhaps a letter signed by a number of us "experts" would at least inform
them of the situation. Their contact info gives both a snail address and an
e-mail address for comments.&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph.
D.&nbsp;<BR>Associate Professor, Linguistics&nbsp;<BR>Linguistics Minor
Advisor&nbsp;<BR>English Dept.&nbsp;<BR>Cal Poly State University San Luis
Obispo&nbsp;<BR>San Luis Obispo, CA
 93407&nbsp;<BR>Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184&nbsp;<BR>Dept. tel.:
805-756-2596&nbsp;<BR>Dept. fax: 805-756-6374&nbsp;<BR>E-mail:
<A>[log in to unmask]</A>&nbsp;<BR>URL:
cla.calpoly.edu/~jrubba&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>To join or leave this LISTSERV
list, please visit the list's web interface at:&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;
<A>http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</A>&nbsp;<BR>and select
<A>http://ateg.org/</A>&nbsp;<BR></DIV>  <DIV class=aol_ad_footer
id=u8CA655A3EB0A4BC-1270-2EFC><FONT style="FONT: 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;
COLOR: black">  <HR style="MARGIN-TOP: 10px">  Get the <A
title=http://www.mapquest.com/toolbar?NCID=mpqmap00030000000003
href="http://www.mapquest.com/toolbar?NCID=mpqmap00030000000003"
target=_blank>MapQuest Toolbar</A>, Maps, Traffic, Directions &amp;
More!</FONT> </DIV>To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the
list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and
 select "Join or leave the list"   <div>Visit ATEG's web site at
http://ateg.org/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><p>&#32;

      <hr size=1>You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you <a
href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47523/*http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbu
ster/text5.com">one month of Blockbuster Total Access</a>, No Cost.
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:
--0-797841336-1207438970=:65724--

End of ATEG Digest - 4 Apr 2008 to 5 Apr 2008 (#2008-82)