ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:45:54 -0500
Carolyn,

Your plea resonates richly with a lot of us.  Let me address just the education part of it, because I'm just now involved in a debate with our English Education faculty in the English Department on whether our undergraduate requirement for all English students should be eliminated for EngEd students.  The requirement is that everyone take either a Language and Society course or an English Linguistics course, the latter covering a lot of English grammar.  Education faculty claim that they have too many other things to cover to be able to sacrifice the time for a grammar course.  They're right that they have very little flexibility in their programs, which I see as a problem in their curricula.  But they also argue that they cover grammar in their classes.  What they do, in fact, cover is a small amount of prescriptive grammar--very little of the sort of knowledge we have been discussing as essential for the writer to think critically about her writing.  In their own training they've received very little training in grammar or linguistics, and they tend pretty unanimously to buy into the older NCTE position on the teaching of grammar.

I've drawn a good bit from our recent discussions that I will use when the issue comes up for debate in the department faculty meeting.  What EngEd wants to do is counter to the direction that grammar training is moving, counter to the direction the NCTE is moving, and certainly counter to the wishes of school boards and parent organizations, however ill-conceived their notions of grammar may be.

Good luch with raising the status of grammar at WVSU!  We need it too.

Herb