ATEG Archives

July 2000

From:
"Glauner, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:03:12 -0500
Your correction of the passage below is the "default" standard English form.
However, what we are dealing with here is pragmatics, how the passage is
accomplishing its purposes.  The force of its "backward pronomialization"
seems to be to imply shared knowledge, perhaps even intimacy, between the
writer and the reader.  The writer seems to say, "We both know who this is.
We are in it together.  Isn't this cozy?"

Sometimes, Tomio, pragmatics overrides standard English grammar to create a
classic: something people want to read over and over again because of its
power to communicate precisely what the writer wants to communicate,
precisely what the reader wants to read.  In such instances, it would be a
shame for us to insist upon a dutiful return to the default form.