ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:01:09 -0500
Brad,

This sentence may not represent Obama's finest piece of literary crafting, but you are assuming that the after-clause can do (mean) only one thing, and that is to indicate a time after which certain things were completed (his laboring in the minority) and after which other things happened (Democrats gained control).  However, Obama does a subtle thing here:  he establishes his two terms in the minority as a period during which some things happened, so that the main clause is what grammars refer to as a resultative perfect.  As a result of efforts during those to terms, the following state of affairs now held:  Democrats had gained control and he got a slew of bills passed.  "After" clauses aren't semantically as straightforward as you suggest.  He also didn't say the change control occurred after his first two terms; he's saying that state of affairs held, again, the resultative perfect.

As to the "preserved" example, I think you are demanding that the grammatical trigger for a past perfect, that is, for sequence of tenses or backshifting to apply, must be overt in the immediate context.  That, however, is not necessary.  Once the writer has established a time frame in the discourse, he can then use that as a reference point without mentioning it all over again.  It is possible, even, for such a time frame to be implicit in the discourse context.  That's what Obama is doing in this sentence.

More on this later.  I have to head out to a meeting.

Herb