ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 21:48:31 -0500
Linda,

I have to agree with you.  This task is going to take some strong leadership, some good PR, and a lot of smart politics.  What we really haven't discussed is how we turn ourselves into a movement, the counter to the grammar-is-bad movement.  We've spent most of our time arguing about what to teach, what to call things, the sorts of things we grammarians like to argue about.  But we have an essentially political task ahead of us.  And we have to be smart politically.

Herb

 Herb;

 I think that the grass roots method would be most beneficial to the work of the ATEG and coming to common ground for terminology in the k-12 programs.  By all means invite the teacher-ed faculty in.  Very often they are focused on the very issues that are discussed here.  WE are being forced to address grammar due to state testing  (and  NCLB).  WE are trying to make a common thread of terminology and curriculum.  What a wonderful opportunity to create a base to meet the needs of the k-12 comminity and promote the goals of the ATEG.

I do not know exactly what is needed to do this....

Linda