ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Yvonne Stapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:58:15 -0400
I try to check out the discussions of this interesting group
as often as I can, and have been meaning to post an inquiry
for ages.  I'm a linguist and I'm teaching in a program
designed to train ESL teachers. Many of the students are
already ESL teachers in the K-12 system.  I had been out of
the country for some years before I started working in this
program, and I didn't have contact either with K-12 ESL
teachers or programs in the USA.  I was astonished to find
here that the native speakers who teach or who plan to teach
ESL have serious language problems.  I've written one paper
on this and I'm starting another.  The scale and types of
errors correspond in many ways to various types of language
deficit --the sort of symptoms we see in referrals to speech
pathologists.  There is nothing really wrong with these
students/teachers. Their language problems reflect the
absence of language instruction in their own education -
mainly grammar (but vocabulary is also a problem).  I have
found it very difficult to get most of these trainees to a
level of language skill that might be expected of a language
teacher.  I am curious as to whether other people see these
rather massive problems also.  I'll be happy to post some
examples.

Yvonne Stapp

Yvonne Stapp PhD
Assistant Professor of ESL