ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Richard Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:33:41 -0400
Here's my more extended take on the derivation of the two sentences:

Sentence (1) below derives from the same deep structure as the
nonrestrictive relative clause (2):

    (1) My decision, to leave my job, was a wise one.
    (2) My decision, which was to leave my job, was a wise one.

Since (1) and (2) are (approximately) equivalent, and since appositives are
derived as reduced relative clauses, we can call the infinitive in (1)
either a "nonrestrictive appositive infinitive" or a "nonrestrictive
relative infinitive."

In contrast, sentence (3) derives from a very different deep
structure--i.e., the same deep structure from which the nominal complement
sentence (4) is derived:

    (3) My decision to leave my job was a wise one.
    (4) My decision that I (would) leave my job was a wise one.

Sentence (4) is a complement clause, not a relative clause. Since (3) and
(4) are (approximately) equivalent, we can call the infinitive in (3) a
"complement infinitive." In other words, I disagree with David Sawyer's
argument below that (3) is derived from a restrictive relative clause.
There are some infinitives that are derived as reduced restrictive
relatives, such as (5), which is (approximately) equivalent to the
restrictive relative clause (6):

    (5) The person to take over my job is Quigley.
    (6) The person who should take over my job is Quigley.

Consequently, I would call (5) -- but not (3) -- a "restrictive relative
infinitive."

The above are just a few of the dozens of different types of infinitives.

Dick Veit
UNCW