ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:04:22 +1000
Dick, how do you come at a distinction in meaning between `lest' and `in
case'? I cannot find any lexicographic ground to support it. Both of these
logical operators hypothesise an event: neither presumes its inevitability
or the circumstance of its prevention. That is precisely why they head
subjunctive-mood sequences. Your paraphrasing:

D, (lest):  Because I want to make sure I don't slip and fall, I will hold
on to the hand rail

has turned 'lest' into a causal logical operator and thereby diverted the
sense the subjunctive is in place to achieve.

The semantic template to represent the subjunctive mood of the sentence
under scrutiny is this:

`I hold on to the rail and [I hypothesise the possibility that] I slip and
fall'.

It cannot possibly be `I hold on to the rail therefore I will not (or: in
order that I do not) slip and fall. If this were a possibility then the
lest/just in case headers, natural headers of subjunctive-mood sequences,
would simply not be in use.
Sophie