ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Terry Lynn Irons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:26:58 -0500
If I were to write something on the board for students to scribble in their notebooks, it would be something like this:

The past perfect, a phrasal verb consisting of had plus past participle, is used to show a relation between two actions or events that happened in the past.  More specifically, it indicates that one action occurred and was completed before another action in the past.

The question for me is whether I would write something on the board for students to scribble in their notebooks.  In a discovery based approach, students would be asked to figure out how tense sequencing worked in English by examining passages.

In the example, the finding of Christ is an action that happened before she told someone about it.
--
--
Fraternally,