ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:39:02 -0500
Peter,

This is one of the problems with using sample sentences in isolation.  Properly in constructing such an argument I should find examples in context where the interpretation will be strongly conditioned by the discourse contexts.  This is one of the strengths of corpus based studies and the tools they use.  They can provide real examples and the contexts they originally occurred in.

The interpretations you suggest are certain plausible, but they presuppose a context that we don't share.  I would argue that such interpretations bring information to the examples that goes beyond what's there grammatically.  And that's fine, but it's the problem with using made-up context-free examples.

Herb