ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:50:36 -0400
     It's also possible that "Peninsula" connotes "surrounded on three sides," so this would be mildly redundant. "The Keeneshaw Peninsula juts into Lake Superior" or "is bounded by Lake superior." Something like that would be cleaner.
    It seems to me more and more that handbooks are in the business of discovering error in the same way that drug companies are in the business of discovering new diseases. At a certain point, it becomes self serving (to the companies) and dangerous to the public, complete with serious side effects.
   The best way to avoid error is to shut up or die.
   We should declare a moratorium on error and invent something comparable to holistic medicine.
   Holistic grammar? It might get attention.
Craig

From: Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Word usage problem?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 10:08 AM

Dear List Members:

This morning in class, the students and I came across a sentence in their grammar handbook that apparently contains a misusage of some sort that we could not identify:

The Keweenaw Peninsula is surrounded on three sides by Lake Superior.

The only explanation we could some up with is that "three sides" should be replaced with "all sides" because a peninsula only has three sides and an isthmus. Or does it have two sides?

Best-

Carol