ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:51:08 -0400
Linda,

Perhaps I'm interpreting "the tools to build well in that area" to narrowly, but, from what I see with my UG grammar students, no one has taken the time to demonstrate to them the relevance of grammar to anything.  This is a terrible defect in grammar education, rather like teaching high school physics without a Bunsen burner, if they still use them.  They understand the relevance of all the other areas, or so I assume, but since grammar has not relevance they won't waste time with it, and I can't blame them for the decision.  I can blame their teachers, though.

Herb