ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:05:50 -0500
Lorraine,

-est is a second person singular ending, used with the second singular pronoun "thou."  -eth is a third singular ending.  Neither is used in the plural, and both of them survived into Early Modern English and then died out largely by the 18th c., although they continued in some dialects.

In modern parodies of older Englishes, -eth tends to get used as a pseudo-archaism regardless of the person or number of the subject.  The language never used it in that way.

Herb