ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
"Joshua D. Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 15:51:14 -0400
"How get you so smart, reading stuff like this?"

Good example.  "Too late" would be an adverbial of time or place, making "in the morning" the undeniable subject, and thus a nominal.  However, it would seem to me that this would only work in a context that had made "in the morning" (or the time, anyway) the subject of discussion.  That is, anything can be nominalized in context.

Possible context:
"When do you plan to go?"
"In the morning..."
"in the morning is too late."

A similar context-nominalization:

"Where do you plan to go?
"Over the hills and through the woods..."
"I'll see your 'over the hills and through the woods' and raise you two 'down the slides and into the Styx.'"

Joshua