ATEG Archives

June 2011

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 17:22:50 -0700
Dick,

The anecdote you tell about your eight-grade teacher is exactly the
analysis that I've noticed both students (and some teachers that I've
trained) gravitating towards even without any explicit statement.

I believe that at least part of the problem is terminological. Several
years back, I stopped using the terms "independent clause" and
"dependent clause" in my classes.

I observed over and over again that students seemed to treat these terms
implicitly as disjoint despite my explicit warnings. Even worse, many
students who came to me with a prior, semantic definition of an
independent clause as a clause that could stand on its own often got the
dependent and independent distinction exactly backwards.

Consider, for example, the sentence, "She said that she was my friend."

Before giving my explanation of clause types, I would try such sentences
out on my classes, and inevitably, some proportion of the class would
identify "she was my friend" as an independent clause and "She said
that" as the dependent clause. After all, that string of words can stand
on its own as a sentence, and what's left over must be the dependent
part, right?

The morphology of "dependent" and "independent" encourages people to
view them as opposites, and therefore non-overlapping.

I've found that by talking about them as main and subordinate clauses,
it only takes one short lecture for students to get the concept that
subordinate clauses are contained within the main clause. The
terminology helps reinforce that idea.

Regards,

Karl