ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:24:06 -0400
Scott,
    If "out of me" modifies "hell," then I would expect that "hell out of me" could become the subject in a passive version. "Hell out of me is bugged by it." That doesn't work. You have to say "Hell is bugged out of me by it," which is awkward, for sure, especially with the sentence ending pronoun, but seems closer to the sense of the original.
   In traditional grammar, I think the term "object complement" is used for these kinds of structures ("drove me crazy"), but traditional grammar, if my memory is correct, doesn't recognize adverbials in that slot. Other grammars do. "She drove me up the wall." I see "up the wall" as adverbial complement (not a modifier). I think "out of me" fits that pattern as well.

Craig