ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:37:28 -0400
Christine,

I missed your original request.  I don't remember what level you teach,
but I filled in last week for an out of town colleague in the first
meeting of her Language and Society and English Linguistics classes.  I
used the exercises below for group work and discussion of topics that
would orient the students to the course content.  I don't know if this
is at all like what you're looking for.

Herb

The first exercise creates two broad categories that are critiqued later
in the course, but it gets students thinking about them.

Social Vs. Linguistic Rules of English

For each of the following statements fill in the blank with "S" if it is
a socially imposed rule  and "L" if it is a rule imposed by the English
language.

_____  1.	Don't use "ain't."
_____  2.	Subjects usually come before verbs.
_____  3.	If your voice goes up at the end of a sentence, you've
probably asked a question.
_____  4.	Always mention yourself last in a series.
_____  5.	Never end a sentence with a preposition.
_____  6.	Tense is shown on verbs.
_____  7.	Standard English is correct; street language ain't.
_____  8.	Always separate month and day from year by a comma, as
in "February 8, 1999."
_____  9.	Canadians spell "color" as "colour."
_____  10.	In a main clause, the direct object comes after the
verb.

The second exercise is something of a setup, comprising, as it does, the
chapter topics from Bauer and Trudgill's Language Myths, which they will
be reading in Language and Society.  But it prepares them for further
discussion of those and similar topics.

Survey of Language Facts

Mark each of the following statements as true or false.

___  1.  The meanings of words should not be allowed to vary or change.

___  2.  Some languages are just not good enough.

___  3.  The media are ruining English.

___  4.  French is a logical language.

___  5.  English spelling is kattastroffik

___  6.  Women talk too much.

___  7.  Some languages are harder than others.

___  8.  Children can't speak or write properly any more.

___  9.  In some parts of Appalachia they still speak Shakespeare's
English.

___ 10.  Some languages have no grammar.

___ 11.  Italian is beautiful; German is ugly.

___ 12.  Bad grammar is slovenly.

___ 13.  Black children are verbally deprived.

___ 14.  Double negatives are illogical.

___ 15.  TV makes everyone sound the same.

___ 16.  They speak really bad English down South and in New York City.

___ 17.  You shouldn't say "It's me" because "me" is objective case.

___ 18.  Some languages are spoken more quickly than others.

___ 19.  Aborigines speak a primitive language.

___ 20.  Everyone has an accent except people I grew up with.

The third exercise, for the English Linguistics class, invites students
to explore the meaning of "ungrammatical".

Types of questionable sentence

Read each of the following sentences, decide whether it is an acceptable
sentence in English, and, if it isn't, explain why.   Be specific in
identifying what might be amiss.

1.  The policeman the boy the dog bit called came.

2.	"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."1

3.	Me and Bill went fishing last weekend.

4.	The Sears Tower was a building higher than which no other had
ever been built.

5.	That ain't no house I'd want to live in.

6.	The guard couldn't have been not sleeping.

7.	Upon were a there time three once bears.

8.	"Then I pray all them that shall read in this little treatise to
hold me for excused for the translating of hit."2

1Chomsky, Noam A.  1957.  Syntactic Structures.  The Hague:  Mouton.
2Caxton, William.  1490.  Prologue to his translation of Eneydos.
Reprinted in  W. F. Bolton, ed, The English Language:  Essays by English
and American Men of Letters 1490-1839, Cambridge:  Cambridge University
Press, 1966.  (Spelling modernized.)