ATEG Archives

August 2000

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 10:42:05 -0500
"The anonymous good Samaritan probably saved Ms. Payne's life, the 46-year
old Fort Thomas woman says, and ended an hour-long, savage attack from an
assailant she had met in a local bar."

One of the reasons that sentence is confusing is that it is an indirect
quotation presented in a way that is normally used for direct quotations.
Since it is an indirect quotation, the phrase "Ms. Payne's life" occurs in
what is technically a dependent clause governed by "the .. woman says
[that]."  In other words, this seems to illustrate the rule that backward
pronominalization is normal in dependent clauses.