ATEG Archives

October 2015

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 13:40:22 -0700
Melvin,

I was glad to see the examples of nouns modified by adverbial clauses.  I think they are clearly adjectival in nature since they modify nouns.  The use of certain nouns as adverbial modifiers is clearly related, e.g., second, minute, hour, day, etc. for time may be used like "time."

It is also quite common to use one's intuition, though sometimes found to be faulty, without backing it up from various corpora.

Bruce

From: "Hoffman, Melvin" <[log in to unmask]>

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: relative adverb clauses which modify nouns

Date:         Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:42:27 -0400

It was a pleasure to read a post that included the phenomenon of elided relative adverbs

in adverbial relative clauses modifying nouns.

Relative adverbs may undergo "that"replacement and Ø replacement, or elision, much like relative pronouns.

the time when it happened          the place where we met          the reason why I did it

the time that it happened            the place that we met              the reason that I did it

the time Ø it happened                the place Ø we met                 the reason Ø I did it

My examples are made up, but--if I took the time--I could find examples of all of the above in real corpi.

Melvin Hoffman