ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 12:54:53 -0500
At 06:26 PM 9/17/2007, Castilleja, Janet wrote:
>I would suggest that people, whether they read The Bell Curve (I have)
>or not, read Stephen Jay Gould's The Mismeasure of Man.  In my opinion,
>it's hard to beat Gould for lucid, readable, scientifically supported
>explanations.

DD: I have read both. Gould was not a psychometrician. He was writing
out of his field of expertise. Still, he wrote well. I have enjoyed
reading him in other genres, that were also out of his field. How
accurate they were I wot not, but they were interesting. I'd
recommend that a person interested read, "The Bell Curve" first.
Start with the easy sections, marked as such. Then the harder ones,
and then dive into the third sections, and scrutinize the references
and footnotes, along the way. Then read Gould's book.