ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:46:17 -0500
Bruce,
   It is useful in composition to distinguish between revising, which
means something like "changing a text to make it more profound and
effective" and "corecting", which usually means something like
"changing a text to make it conform to decontextualised standards."
The research on writing tends to show that better writers expect to
revise considerably and that less effective writers tend to try to
improve words and sentences apart from those larger concerns. (Get out
the thesaurus.  Check spelling and so on.) These goals can even be at
odds with each other, as they might be when we say "that's an effective
sentence fragment."
    Correcting is an on-off switch, whereas revising is more like a dimmer
switch.  We can take text that already works (not noticably deficient)
and still work on it.  It's more like getting closer to a goal than it
is like finding mistakes.  Point-of-view certainly may seem wrong, but
it may also take us quite some time to fine-tune the nuances, to bring
it into focus. One day we're happy, the next day we're not so sure.
    They both involve standards, but it's a different mind frame.
Composition has an uncomfortable relationship with grammar because we
have yet to devise an attention to rhetoric that fully integrates the
sentence.
   Your mother tells you not to shout, but you see she's in danger, so you
shout. The situation requires it. If you worry about being correct,
she's dead/

Craig

Thank you for your responses to my amazement caused by the jumbled words.