ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 16:13:26 -0400
Edith,
  Thanks for the suggestions and the positive response.
  I think the last part of (a) is meant to distinguish between "standard"
and "correct". "Correct" has tended to mean something like "inherently
better", regardless of context. The point would carry over to your
objections in (b) as well; I like the idea that students would notice
the way community languages find their way into writing. I think it was
Paule Marshall who recounts ("Poets in the Kitchen") how finding work of
writers like Dunbar (in dialect) made her feel she, too, could be a
writer. To do so successfully, of course, means paying attention to the
structure (nature) of the dialect. It's like the "contrastive analysis"
that Johanna and Rebecca have been talking about. It actually deepens
our understanding of the standard if we can describe rule patterned
variation. Part of that, of course, means paying attention to the ways
(contexts) in which it can be used effectively.
  You can't write fiction or drama without an ear for speech. Paul has
reminded us from time to time how important that is to an actor.
   Of course, those reasons for the language could be made more explicit.
I don't mean to defend this particular wording.

Craig>

I have a couple of responses for consideration: