ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Elizabeth Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 01:23:40 -0400
In an interview on Charlie Rose this evening, Charles Gibson said
(approximately) "At ABC we take the obligation to report world news very
serious."
I suspect a few years ago, he would have said "seriously" instead. The
shift away from adding the ly to adverbs of manner was noticeable first
among sportcasters but has since spread to many areas of the media. Of
course all living languages change over time; such changes are probably
being accelerated by the widespead example of the media. This would make
for an interesting class discussion. But is it appropriate for today's
teacher to permit this kind of variation, especially in writing; or would
it be better to penalize failure to add the ly? How can one convince
students eiher way?

Thanks
Elizbeth Ward