ATEG Archives

December 2000

From:
Herb Stahlke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:57:36 -0500
I would hate to see "a separate list for practicing teachers to
discuss ways we teach grammar" although I understand that we
professor sorts could join.  We need a site that welcomes both the
more theoretical and college-level threads and the practical and
K-12 threads.  One of the reasons the state of grammar teaching is
as it is is that too often those of us who teach grammar to the
teacher trainees have little contact with the world they are going
to teach in.  While there are things that we can offer to
"practical teachers", there's a lot that the teachers can offer us
too.  I found, for example, the problem that started this thread
an important and puzzling one:  how do we teach punctuation when
the structures we have to teach in order to teach punctuation seem
opaque to the students.  I'd hate to see this discussion carried
on on another site than this one.

Herb Stahlke

<<< [log in to unmask] 12/10  8:35p >>>
  Brock,
  I'm not sure you meant for this to go to the immediate world,
but it
apparently did. Anyway, Gretchen and I, among others, had
discussed the
possibility of a separate list for practicing teachers to discuss
ways we
teach grammar. I think the practical approach is waht we need. The
theoretical perspectives often discussed on the list are
interesting, but
not very helpful.

  Caroline

interface at: