ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:18:33 -0500
Edmond,
   For Christensen, restrictive and non-restrictive is a core variable.
To be a "free modifier", the word group (here relative clause) needs to
be non-restrictive. This gives even more ease to memory.
   The house, which jack built from extra lumber, contained malt, a
favorite food for rats.
   This would be a truer "cumulative sentence" in the Christensen
tradition.
   I'm off to a writing class where we'll be playing with these
structures. They do seem to invite a kind of playfulness.

Craig