ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Ronald Sheen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 06:10:57 -0700
Scott writes:

Unless the linguist's assumption is that the speaker are not using these
past /perfect tense
expressions consciously. I would teach present perfect as indicating
continuing or repeated or incomplete action..

But how about 'Sir, I've finished.'?

and

how about the essential semantic feature of 'relevance to the present
moment' as in the above and which explains the difference between the simple
past in 'When I was a boy, I visited.France, Germany and Spain.' and the
present perfect in 'So far, I have visited France, Germany and Spain.'

I'll explore this issue more when I give a summary of the responses to my 20
sentences.

Ron Sheen