ATEG Archives

February 2000

From:
Linda Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:50:18 -0600
Hi, Fr. Laurence!  I'm a "lurker" - I just read other's contributions and
enjoy but have never written in.  I'm a network administrator at a
manufacturing plant so it is a pleasant break in my day to think about
language skills!  When something really interesting to me such as your
letter comes by, I forward it to my son & daughter-in-law who are teaching
English in China.  As I read your letter, I found myself wishing I could be
in your 7th grade English class!   And I would love to have you teach my
children as well.  Have you created your own teaching guide?  I think there
could be a market for it.  And probably more so if it were accompanied by a
video showing moments captured throughout your year.   Your work in growing
a boy who couldn't distinguish a subject from a verb into a young man who
is eager to put diagrams on the board, is intrigued by verbals and likes to
show off his use of the semi-colon has got to encompass much more than what
could ever be captured in the linear words of a teaching guide.  I have to
infer that you blend discipline, respect, humor, caring and enthusiasm into
your teaching in the mystical, magical proportions that can never be
described quite well enough in just words alone.

I had a 7th grade teacher like that.  At the first of the year she had us
all send off for some kind of thin little book which contained a collection
of grammar rules and a red pen with a specialty finger grip.  These became
prized and much-used possessions.  She drew many strange and funny
creatures on the board to illustrate her points.  ( I still remember the
double-headed compound subject goose, and the silly looking hanging
participle.)  We diagrammed.  We divided into small groups.  We wrote
lesson plans and made dittoes (remember those?!) and taught the class our
lesson.  High school grammar was easy because it was mostly review of what
we already knew.  We did lots of other things too - "ordered" something
from Sears catalog,  and wrote back to describe a problem with the item,
memorized "Declamations," gave good directions, and wrote.  Boy, did we
write.  Often, she would put a number out in the margin of our stories.  It
was the number of the rule in our grammar book that we needed to study in
order to correct the sentence.  That 7th grade teacher is now 75.  She
still lives in Palouse, a town of about 900 people,  many of whom trace
their love of English and of learning back to her and give her a special
place of honor.  I do too, especially so, for she is also my mother.  And I
wish I had a video of her in that 7th grade classroom, because, as good as
her lesson plans were, I know that if someone wanted to follow in her
footsteps, they would need more than her lesson plans.  They would need a
cup of her fire and a spoonful of her spark and a bucketful of her
creativity and a whole heartful of her caring.  Thank you, Fr. Laurence,
and all of the rest of you who delight in your work and pass that delight
on to your students.

Linda Chase
Gardner Denver, Inc.
Quincy, IL 62301