ATEG Archives

November 2009

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:55:18 -0500
Hi everyone,

I just spoke with a member of the community (a very nice 81yo man) who called the dept to ask a grammar question, and Brad, I thought of you. :)  The caller read to me from a letter from his congressman that began with this sentence:

"In the past, you had contacted me in regard to the Obama/Pelosi healthcare bill."

The caller wanted to know the name of "that tense that uses 'had'."  I think he was planning to write back to his congressman and tell him to make better verb choices.

Beth