ATEG Archives

April 2001

From:
MAX MORENBERG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 16:46:01 -0400
Hi, Gretchen in San Jose. What you're always concerned with when
dealing with what you're calling "tense" is the main verb
constituent--the verb and all its auxiliaries, including modals.  In
schoolbook grammars, the modals "will" and "shall" usually change the
labelling of the main verb to "future."  But as you discovered, often
other modals occur as well.  The simplest way to handle the issue, I
think, is to label any main verb that includes a modal as
"conditional."  So

The children should have been eating

is past perfect progressive conditional. Conditional what? you should
ask. Well, the only real tense in a main verb changes the form of the
first main-verb word. "Should" is the past tense FORM of "shall."  So
conditional is the mood (or modality) of the main verb. The "have
...past participle" is perfect(ive) aspect. And the "be. . . -ing" is
the progressive aspect.  Tense, modality, and aspect make up the
concepts of the main verb.

At any rate, I won't push any deeper into main verbs now.  If you
choose to keep the label "tense" on main verb forms, just call the
construction you have the "perfect progressive conditional tense."
I'm not fond of that sort of labelling myself, but it will do in a
pinch.  Ouch! Those pinches hurt a sensitive grammarian.

Gretchen, you might want to start examining grammatical explanations
in books other than schoolbook grammars. I suspect lots of people on
this listserv can suggest sources of grammatical information, both
useful information and accessible.

Well, while I was writing this, Herb and Larry answered your
question. So this might be overload.  It was probably overload to
begin with. Take it for what it's worth. Max