ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:10:10 -0400
Michael,

I think you're right on several matters  and perhaps missed the mark a little on others.

Phonetically, "thing coming" and "think coming" differ in a couple of ways, but the g/k contrast is not one of them.  The <g> is strictly an orthographic convention as part of our use of <ng> to represent the velar nasal /N/.  The /k/ of "coming" will be aspirated since it's initial in a stressed syllable, and so it will not be perceived readily as part of the syllable coda of the preceding word.  In "think coming" a couple of things may happen phonetically.  Syllable  final /k/ is often pronounced with a glottal stop, a general fact of syllable-final voiceless stops in English.  This will be perceived as an abrupt break before "coming" and also has the effect of lengthening the velar stop since the first word ends in one and the second begins in one.  This also is normal in English; consider "cap peak" or "mat texture."  If the pronunciation is "thing" instead, a shorter /k/ will be heard with no chance of a glottal stop.

I think rather the major factor is the oddity of "think" as a noun:  people will use "thing" instead because it is more obviously a noun and does make a sort of sense--might even be an eggcorn (http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/).   In the expression, "If you think that, you've got another think coming," the nominal use of "think" is set up by the verb of the conditional and contributes to what must have originally been a witty expression.

Herb